St. Benedict Catholic School opened in 1908 with eight grades and 66 students. It was initially staffed by two sisters from the Edmonds Dominican Order who lived at Holy Angels Academy in Ballard and walked to and from school. These early sisters were dedicated to the service of the poor by providing education, health care, and enriching lives by cultivating beauty.
From these humble beginnings the school’s enrollment grew steadily. In 1924 increasing enrollment necessitated the construction of a new, larger school. At that time classes were moved out of the Church and into the current school building. Interest in the school continued to grow as the Wallingford and Green Lake neighborhoods developed and enrollment peaked in 1965.
Today, the school enrolls approximately 215 students in eleven classrooms. This includes a 3-year-old Preschool, a 4-year-old Prekindergarten, and one classroom each of Kindergarten through 8th grade.